Saturday, July 5, 2008

Silence Can Be Deafening.

Have you ever wondered how silence can deafening?

I was sleeping soundly yesterday when something woke me up.
I immediately checked my two pups who were quietly sleeping.
My grown-up pups can be frisky and noisy when awake. But
they are sleeping and there are no people in the house.

I went around the quiet place. The silence was deafening.
Maybe this was what my late mate Pica was referring to when
she said that the eerie silence would sometimes wake her up.
Maybe this only happens when one is getting old.
Maybe I am getting old. I don’t notice these things before
since I get to sleep soundly even when it’s noisy. My two pups,
who are 1 to 2 years younger than me, are not bothered by
the noise either.

I am not really that old. I am still energetic and can run after
anybody who dare trespass our property. One time I even
jumped at a kid who tried to climb our chico tree. I hate seeing
strangers in our property. I am sure if I get to catch them I will
not hesitate to bite them off!

Maybe my friend Lui was right in saying that silence is deafening
because this rarely happens. Lui is the one who takes care of me
and my hounds family. Lui said that the world is too noisy
so when the noise suddenly dies down, you get startled.
You are not used to the silence anymore.

No wonder why Lui would often do yoga to bring silence back
to her world. She would sit in a corner and her world would
stand still even if we are barking. She remains seated as if in
sleep. She does this a lot.

Pica also told me when she was still alive that I can still be with her
in silence. She does not mean in death. She probably meant in the
stillness of the hour. Just like Lui’s yoga. Sometimes when I am
in my house and cuddled in my pillows, I do remember Pica and
my former owner, Cesario. Cesario gave me as a puppy gift to
Lui’s family. Pica and Cesario are both gone now, but I always
remember them, especially when it’s quiet.

Everytime I watch the sun during those quiet hours, I see
different things. The world feels happy and calm.

My world is quiet now. And I am happy . . .


Sumo's Post: July 7.